Bangalore (Bengaluru) is the capital of the Indian state of Karnataka. Located on the Deccan Plateau (altitude 920m above sea level) in the south-eastern part of Karnataka, Bangalore is India's third most populous city and fifth-most populous urban city.
• Time zone: IST (Indian Standard Time) GMT +5.30
• Population: 8.4 million, 3rd city in size in India
• Area: 2190 square kilometers
• Density: 8,367 /km2 (21,670 /sq mi)
• STD code: 080
• ISD code: 0091
• Currency: Indian Rupees (INR) which is divided into paises. Notes are issues in the following denominations: 1,000 – 500 – 100 – 50 – 20 - 10 – 5. Coins are issued in the following denominations: 5 rupees, 2 rupees, 1 rupee and 50 paise.
• (Main) Languages spoken: Kannada, Hindi, English, Tamil, Telugu
• Religions: Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Jainism, Sikhism, Zoroastrianism and Buddhism
Bangalore's climate is more moderate than many other parts of India. The hottest months are March, April and May with maximum temperatures of 33-34 degrees. Between December and February temperatures can drop as low as 15 at night. Bangalore is affected by both northeast and southwest monsoons and the wettest months are in August, September and October.